[Dataloss] dumpster diving in Baco Raton Fl

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Tue Jun 10 17:59:35 UTC 2008

Original Story Posted on Jun 3, 2008
Two Updates posted jun 4 and Jun 10

http://www.wflxfox29.com/Global/story.asp?S=8416813

[...]
Piles and piles of personal files with tax information, social security
numbers and license numbers, were found in a Boca Raton dumpster. These
dumpsters are located between a set of warehouses here on Northwest
First Avenue.

The dumped personal records inside, apparently belonged to Wheeler's
Moving Company. Some files even dated back as far as 20 years or more.

An incredible amount of personal information and old client files
containing driver's licenses, social security numbers, telephone
numbers, addresses and birth dates were found on these files.

After contacting the Wheeler's Moving Company, they claimed to have
moved out of Boca Raton and into Jupiter about a year ago and they had
no idea this had happened. Police received a call Monday, and were able
to clean up a majority of this dumpster.

There are currently some remnants of the files out there, but officials
are doing their best to protect the people on these files so their
identities are not stolen and get these files and papers shredded properly.

And a followup

[...]
Spieler says she used a Boca moving company 13 years ago. That moving
company was sold and relocated. The building owner now cleaning out and
tossing the files with information on employees, applicants and
customers like Spieler. "It shouldn't have been available to anybody,
but nobody has done anything."

Building owner Charles Wheeler, former owner of the moving company,
says, "In my heart I don't think it's going to be a problem. And I
didn't realize until I heard from you guys that there was something
sensitive in there. And it should have never been thrown out."