[Dataloss] [ekmi] Re: fringe: Open source laptop tracking

Eric K. Dickinson eric.dickinson at nih.gov
Thu Jul 17 10:24:19 UTC 2008

Will it work in every case?

No

Will it recover some hardware?

Probably

Will it protect your data?

Not at all.

Come on, it is a free little service that may be
the only change to recover some fairly expensive
hardware. Sort of like that Lo Jack thing for
your car. A real professional thief will get
your car. But still it gets people their car
back (heedless of condition) around 70% of the
time.

To protect your data, you WILL need to encrypt
it or better yet, not store it on your laptop.

eric