[Dataloss] Keeping track of idtheft victims of breaches

Al Mac Wheel macwheel99 at wowway.com
Mon Jul 14 03:13:57 UTC 2008

There are already several such efforts out there.  Perhaps your time could
be better spent being a volunteer with attrition's open source data base of
breaches.

There can be a large span of time between a breach, and the info used in id
thefts.
I believe the US Congress is trying to pass legislation to give that job to
the Secret Service.

According to the FTC, one in seven Americans at some time in their lives,
will be a victim of id theft ... what's the US population now ... about 350
million ... so that's 50 million names for the data base?  Plus similar
volumes from other nations.

Not all of those victims are due to data breaches ... ther's also dumpster
diving in garbage of ordinary people, proceeds from mugging, pkck pockets,
insider crime, etc.

A lot of identity theft victims don't have a clear knowledge of which of
the many breaches, some of which they were never notified of, were
responsible for them becoming victims.  Sometimes when law enforcement
captures some id theft criminals, they can back trace where they got the
info, sometimes not.

Then many victims want to get their lives cleaned up, not become identified
as a mark who was conned once, so is a potential victim for future con artists.

Al Macintyre