[Dataloss] US Major Retailer data breech

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Thu Jan 17 20:47:34 UTC 2008

 From Consumerist.com
http://tinyurl.com/2k9e4z

"Major Retailer's" Data Breach Results In Wave Of Credit Card Fraud?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that a recently reported data breach by an
undisclosed "major retailer" has resulted in a jump in consumers having
their debit cards forcibly reissued, or calls from their bank to verify
their recent purchase history. The problems seem to have started just
around Christmas time and have continued into mid-January.

The thefts cut across all types of credit cards, but one of the common
threads is that the cards are being used to purchase physical products
in-store. This is a contrast to the big credit card reissue last year
when stolen debit cards were being used to make fraudulent ATM
withdrawals. Which retailer? Who's behind it? Nobody knows and we won't
find out for some time, not until the cops catch the robbers. Until
then, here's all the people on our site talking about the recent seeming
surge of fraudulent activity..

[...]