[Dataloss] Tennessee Tech loses Social Security numbers of 990 students

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Jan 15 00:35:54 UTC 2008

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114/NEWS04/80114105/1001/NEWS

A portable storage drive containing the names and Social Security numbers
of 990 Tennessee Tech University students has been lost, according to
university officials.

The school notified students today who lived in Capital Quad and Crawford
residence halls during the fall 2007 semester that their information could
be at risk.

"We don't know that it has fallen into anybody's hands; we don't know
where it is," said TTU spokeswoman Monica Greppin. "We're notifying
everybody purely as a precaution."