[Dataloss] NY laptop theft breaches no data protection rules

Mike Simon msimon at creationlogic.com
Wed Feb 27 17:23:35 UTC 2008

Chris is right of course. As a trivial example, it would be simple to
reverse the codes for blood type from this sample. Blood type for this
population is a solid statistical model and this is enough samples that
one could derive which column is blood types and what the codes are by
doing simple statistical analysis of the given data.

Given that and the sample size, it seems likely that other disease codes
could be reversed in exactly the same way, especially given the
specificity of the population base. This isn't advanced statistical
attacks on a cipher, just high school math.