[Dataloss] FOIA request(s)?

Chris Walsh chris at cwalsh.org
Wed Feb 6 03:33:16 UTC 2008

Sean:

Only a few states require breaches to be reported to any kind of state
agency --  NY, NJ, NH, NC and (IIRC) ME are the ones.  I FOIA'ed NJ,
NC, and NY.  NH publishes breach reports on a web site anyway, and I
haven't tried ME yet.  IN may join the club, but the law hasn't been
passed as yet.

Results:

NY has been very forthcoming.  I have every breach report they have
received from the start of their law until mid-2007.  Another request
will go out in a week or so.
NC was slower than NY, but sent me a bunch of stuff.  I owe them
another request.
NJ says the info is exempt from disclosure because it is reported to
the state police.  This is debatable, IMNSHO.  I am surprised a suit
hasn't been filed.

Drop me a line if you want a zip file of the docs I have scanned so far.

cw