[Dataloss] 13000 SSN posted on internet in LA

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Fri Aug 29 10:23:59 UTC 2008

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/capital/index.ssf?/base//news-6/1219902067300440.xml&coll=1

BATON ROUGE -- A glitch during a computer upgrade at the Louisiana Real
Estate Commission caused the names, addresses and Social Security
numbers of more than 13,000 licensed agents to be exposed on the
Internet last week, sending waves of concern through the real estate
community statewide.

 The commission, which is a state regulatory agency that oversees the
licensing of all real estate agents and brokers, discovered the problem
Friday after the confidential information had been accessible on the
Internet for about two days, Executive Director J.C. Willie said.

"Are we concerned? I guess we got to be," said Mark Rodi, president of
Louisiana Realtors, a private industry group. "But you can't get upset
about what you can't control."

[...]

The insurer in years past had required that all the agents be identified
by their Social Security numbers. That form of agent ID is no longer
used by the commission or the insurance carrier. But the commission had
kept the old list with the Social Security numbers in its computer
files, Willie said.

 "It was an unfortunate occurrence, but it was handled immediately upon
discovery," said Commission Chairwoman Gretchen Ezernack, a Monroe Realtor.

The commission contacted the Internet search engine companies Google and
Yahoo to ensure that the pages were not being retained by their systems,
Willie said.

Willie said it would be hard to pinpoint exactly who left the file
exposed and that he expected there would be no consequences for whoever
might be to blame.

Rodi and Louisiana Realtors Chief Executive Malcolm Young said they were
satisfied that the commission was doing all it could to address the
problem.