[Dataloss] Best Western Response

Jamie C. Pole jpole at jcpa.com
Tue Aug 26 20:21:45 UTC 2008

The PCI DSS program is a joke.  Pure & simple.  Definitely broken,
sometimes ignored.

I teach a LOT of public and private classes on auditing and ethical
hacking/penetration analysys, and it never ceases to amaze me how
little the people with the QSA designation actually know.  Most of
them seem to be former IT auditors - that particular bar (QSA) is set
W-A-Y too low.

Think about it - when was the last time you heard about a security
breach involving credit card processing where the target was NOT PCI-
compliant?

All of the good ones I've worked on recently have had PCI
certification in place.  That certification has meant precisely zilch
in the overall scheme of things.

The fact is that the PCI DSS program itself is flawed, and provides
nothing more than a false sense of security.  When certain "security"
companies commoditize "network scanning" to the point that it is an
entirely automated effort, the buyer deserves what they are going to
get.

The number of breaches involving PCI-compliant entities should speak
for itself...

Jamie