[Dataloss] fringe: Public, private sectors at odds over cyber security

Domonick T. Weaver dweaver81 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:13:35 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 06:07:27 security curmudgeon wrote:
> [...]

I completely concur with your opinion.  I work for a post-secondary school
system as a contractor for a commercial computer corporation as a technician.
To save myself frombecoming a victim, I keep a steady eye on my credit and
banking reports.  But even still, our network isn't even safe.  no where is.
Until the world government steps into action to make the Net a free AND safe
environment, these instances will continue.

It seems as if now, instead of learning from our mistakes, we are just look
past them to go for the next "big thing"...YouTUBE, Live Search and
GoogleEarth, etc, etc.  But no one has made the real breakthroughs.  How can
we better secure our systems?  What are we doing that's making us naked in
cyberspace?  And how can we make it easier for the common user to protect
themselves out there?

All of us, as members of the IT world, need to understand that the only way we
can stop this madness is by increase our digital security.  Not by
increasing, or even capping, bandwidth.  We just need to get a grip on the
reality.  I bet if we put all these data breach in the public eye long
enough, people will start to ask questions...and lots of them.

--
"Proper planning prevents poor performance." - Ret. Sgt 1st class Richard
Weaver