[Dataloss] Feds seek to nab credit card thieves in La., Miss.

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Wed Aug 20 04:15:52 UTC 2008

Fat chance on the legislation.

I had the opportunity to talk to a lobbyist for a major insurance
company about our state data protection law and she gave me critical
insight as to WHY our well-written bill got defanged and neutered.  This
Ins Co told the state legislation that they would have to stop operating
in the state should the bill pass as written - it was modeled after
California's law).  This Ins Co is one of the state's largest employers.
The economic damage caused by their departure would be devastating, so
the bill conveniently died in committee.

It's all about the Benjamins - one way or another.

George