[Dataloss] Email correspondences containing PII / sensitive information that may be used to commit identity theft

Al Mac Wheel macwheel99 at wowway.com
Fri Aug 8 17:09:34 UTC 2008

I do not believe there is a satisfactory alternative out there as yet.

What you are complaining about is an extremely widespread practice.
1. I would guess 99% of the time when I request a new password, or register
at a site new to me, the password and logon info arrives via e-mail in
plain text.
2. I think all professionals I deal with ... auditors, accountants,
lawyers, whoever ... all of them send highly sensitive info in attachments
that anyone who can see the e-mail (such as our ISP), can also read the
data, and request same from me.  A handful of them have some boiler plate
verbiage below the sig about what is the authorized use of this
e-mail.  These same people have this identical verbiage on the bottom of
their postings to discussion lists, whose archives are available to the
general public.
3. Vast numbers of the computer using public appears to be clueless when it
comes to relationships between types of computer usage (e.g. P2P) and
various risks (e.g. spyware).

We can report this kind of thing to the FTC or equivalent organiation in
other nations, but generally all they do is collect statistics on how much
of the total industry is criminal and/or incompetent.  Some organization
has to be extremely more blatant in harming consumers before action taken.

The anti-spam, anti-virus,e-police, etc. software includes a lot with false
positives and failures to block all the bad stuff, and lacks standards
across various software clients.