[Dataloss] Suggestion for changing status quo on data losses

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Aug 1 21:31:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, security curmudgeon wrote:

": " : In light of the exemplary work the people behind this listserv do, and
": " : the educational service they provide, I would like to suggest taking
": " : this a step further so we can stem this deluge of data losses we are
": " : subjected to every day.
": "
": " While we certainly appreciate the compliments and like to think we do good
": " work, please remember that we're volunteers and do this in our spare time.
": " There is also a big difference between 'hobbyists' and 'lobbyists'.

I'd also like to thank Arshad for the compliments, but agree with Jericho
on this one.  We're simply not in a position to spend any additional time
on these resources.  I would like to point out (for those who may have
missed it or forgotten) that we do plan to migrate attrition.org's data
loss resources (mail list, web site, and RSS feed) completely to
DataLossDB.org in the coming weeks.  With a little help, we hope it will
be a seamless transition.

": " Again, thank you for the praise, but please remember that we're stretched
": " thin between attrition.org, datalossdb.org and osvdb.org and those pesky
": " day jobs and significant others. It would be extremely helpful if more
": " people would spend fifteen minutes a week updating those sites with us, or
": " contributing to new ideas like this one.
": "
": " Jericho
": " attrition.org staff

I think it's OK to disclose that the Data Loss Mail list has a little over
1500 subscribers as of this email.  If even half of the list could
contribute those 15 minutes a week to the sites mentioned above or other
data loss resources or projects, that would be almost another 200 hours *a
week* spent on these issues.  How cool would that be?

Lyger
the other guy