[Dataloss] Suggestion for changing status quo on data losses

Sean Steele SSteele at infolocktech.com
Fri Aug 1 21:06:44 UTC 2008

Arshad, I believe the plan/advice/activism you outline below is done in
earnest but it strikes me as hopelessly naive (and I don't mean that in
a pejorative way). I live and work in Washigton, DC and this is my
take...

For starters, what's our goal beyond acting to "shake [legislators] up"?
The only concrete action that a legislator can conduct is to either
create, contribute to, or vote on policy/law/legislation. Are we seeking
more legislation? What sort of legislation and to what end? What new
act(s) of Congress will affect data protection and data stewardship
beyond the collective GLBA/HIPAA/SOX/FISMA/etc. we already have in
place? Should we move to legislate the provisions of PCI-DSS (a set of
industry regulations for the payment card industry), for example?

My guess is we have enough compliance requirements already, but we
haven't properly ENFORCED them with the Executive Branch (the White
House and its executive agencies like DOJ, FBI, DHHS, DHS, DOC, etc.).
Enforcement should and can come through either the "carrot" (financial
incentives for no data breaches, etc.) or the "stick" (criminal
penalties, civil fines, suspension of business operations, etc.)

I believe this past month we saw the first instance of the US Dept. of
Health & Human Services (DHHS), Office of Civil Rights (OCR), the HIPAA
security enforcement office, actually levying fines and penalties for a
HIPAA security violation that amounted to at least $100,000:
http://www.healthcareitnews.com/story.cms?id=9610&page=1.

This is in the more than 3 years since most covered entities became
fully subject to HIPAA security compliance requirements.

With all this said, it can't hurt. I just don't think Congress is where
we want to be lobbying -- we should wait for the new Administration and
direct our efforts squarely at the enforcement agencies, auditors, and
"watchdogs".

Best,

--
Sean Steele, CISSP, CISA