[Dataloss] CEOs deserve jail for data breaches

James Ritchie, CISA, QSA james_ritchie at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 9 14:12:46 UTC 2008

Each company in the US has a Fiduciary responsibility to protect the
data within perimeter. This has been established under several items:
Model Business Corporation Act (ABA created and adopted by many states),
Federal Rules on Civil Procedures, US Sentencing Guidelines, and
others.  These issues have defined governance and actions the
accountability of senior management while protecting the data (see my
article scmagazineus.com "Global Security Concerns
<http://www.scmagazineus.com/Global-security-challenges/article/108580/>").
In many cases, management sets the tone-at-the-top, determines what is
to be spent, and is held accountable to the stockholders ( or principals
of the business). What I expect to see, is a very savvy attorney turn a
breach into a civil suit, naming the Cxx of the company for failure to
preform their due diligence and due care of protecting the data that was
entrusted to them.

--
James Ritchie
CISA, PCI-QSA, ASV, MCSE, MCP+I, M-CIW-D, CIW-CI, Inet+, Network+, A+