[Dataloss] CEOs deserve jail for data breaches

Casey, Troy # Atlanta Troy.Casey at McKesson.com
Wed Apr 9 14:08:55 UTC 2008

Off the cuff, this seems like a good idea on the surface.  The problem
is that the personal criminal liability will motivate companies to hide
the facts and not disclose data breaches.

My personal thought on this is that fines and penalties don't seem to
have much of an effect, but that personal legal liability will make CEOs
sit up and take notice...there neeeds to be some rationale for the
mega-buck paychecks these guys are raking in, and a high level of
personal legal risk seems to me a better rationale for today's CEO
salaries than some canard like "market performance".  If this were
enacted, the "skin in the game" on the part of the CEOs might make their
huge salaries seem less unfair.  It's plain to me that until there is
some downside risk to "accepting the risk" of an insecure system,
companies will continue to give IT Security short shrift, and I think
this is a sensible approach.

Several have objected based on some notion that the CEO is "not
responsible" for the weak controls, but I disagree.  Anyone with
military experience will tell you that one can delegate authority, but
that one cannot delegate responsibility.  The CEO is ultimately
responsible for everything the company does.  If the CEO were to
suddenly start taking security seriously, (s)he would communicate that
to the senior staff, and the new culture would trickle down to the IT
Directors and others that have more direct oversight of IT security.  If
the CEO's attitude was 'let's have the best security we can afford', and
monies made available in a security 'slush fund' to deal with unexpected
security issues, the IT Directors would no longer have to say "no" when
asked for the next security technology.  Yes, it all ultimately comes
back to the CEO and the Board of Directors - their attitude about
security becomes the Company's attitude about security.

Cheers,
Troy

Troy D. Casey