[Dataloss] NC: Personal documents found in trash can (fwd)

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Oct 30 13:59:16 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: MKEVHILL at aol.com
To: dataloss at attrition.org
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:19:00 EDT

(http://news14.com/content/headlines/588963/personal-documents-found-in-trash-can/Default.aspx)

SALISBURY -- Two men found a box in a dumpster full of the ingredients for
identity theft. It appeared to be year's worth of cell phone customers'
applications from all over the area.

The cell phone business recently moved and behind it was a dumpster full of
furniture and other things from inside. That's where Steve Gandy and Lee
Wilbanks said they found the box.

"We've got a lady's driver's license number, her Bank of America credit card
number and we've got her work address, home address, we've got every  bit of
information that somebody would use for identity theft," said Gandy as he
sifted through the box.

There is so much private financial information on the documents that it was
hard finding papers that could be televised. "It's the application, where
they print driver's license, method of payment and the Social Security number,"
added Gandy.  From job applications with addresses, birth dates  and Social
Security numbers to copies of driver's licenses, Mastercards, and Visas, the
box was full of identity theft bait.

[...]