[Dataloss] CDs containing state workers' information missing in Nevada

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Nov 12 12:49:11 UTC 2007

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2007/nov/11/111110005.html

Hundreds of CDs containing payroll information about state employees,
including Social Security numbers, have either been lost or stolen over
the last three years, state Personnel Director Todd Rich said.

Rich said his department sent a total of more than 13,000 CDs to 80
agencies for review every two-week pay period over the last three years.
He said as many as 470 are still missing.

"We haven't had any notification from anybody that, `Hey, my identity has
been stolen,'" Rich told the Nevada Appeal.

He said it would be up to Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto whether
to issue a breach notification. If so, he said, it would be done by
agencies with missing discs.

[...]