[Dataloss] IL: Debit card security breach at restaurant

Chris Walsh cwalsh at cwalsh.org
Fri May 25 22:26:36 UTC 2007

It was IHOP.

 From the (I kid you not) "This Just In..." section:

http://www.sj-r.com/extras/breaking/index.asp#2772

IHOP upgrades credit card security after outside hack

Last Updated 5/25/2007 2:50:18 PM

The owner of a Springfield restaurant said today hackers who broke
into the restaurant's computer network and compromised debit-card
information were from outside the business, and that security has
been upgraded.

Gene Rupnik, who owns the International House of Pancakes on Dirksen
Parkway, confirmed the restaurant was the source of some of the debit-
card alerts that have gone out from local banks in the past week.

He also said, as far as he knows, none of the customers suffered
financial losses as a result of the security breach.

"I am assured now we are completely and totally protected," said
Rupnik, who also owns the Day's Inn and Microtel Inn & Suites in
Springfield.

Rupnik said, while this is the first time it has happened to one of
his businesses, authorities have advised him they are looking into
the possibility the problem goes beyond his restaurant, and perhaps
beyond Springfield.

"It's retailers at risk, or any kind of business that accepts credit
cards," said Rupnik.

Rupnik said customer credit and debit-card information is not stored
at the restaurant, and that he learned of the security breach from
the company that processes the transactions. He said an audit also
eliminated the possibility of employee involvement.

The FBI has been notified of the security breach but has declined to
confirm whether there is an investigation.

On May 25, 2007, at 9:18 AM, lyger wrote:

> http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/115219.asp
[...]