[Dataloss] 10,000 accounts "hijacked"

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Thu May 10 10:11:45 UTC 2007

 From Stockholm Sweden

http://www.thelocal.se/7245/20070509/

Fraudsters hijack SEB credit cards

Credit and debit card numbers belonging to at least 10,000 SEB customers
could have been hijacked by fraudsters, the bank has admitted.

"Other banks are hit by this too," bank spokeswoman Kerstin Ottosson said.

Eurocard announced on Tuesday that 1,000 customers were hit by a similar
fraud attempt.

SEB received the first indications that something was amiss about ten
days ago. The bank says that hackers broke into a national computer
system handling card payments for shops, hotels and other retailers.

Ottosson said that card information should never be stored by payment
systems, but said in this case it had been.

"That's a criminal act, pure and simple," she said.

The card numbers allowed the frausters to buy goods over the internet
and to forge new cards.

"We've seen customers already hit by such thefts. A normal customer
can't protect themselves against this. But our customers will not lose
out financially," she said.

All SEB customers whose card numbers might have come into the wrong
hands will receive a letter from the bank asking them to block the card
and order a new one.