[Dataloss] Google shock for Los Rios

Dissent Dissent at pogowasright.org
Wed Mar 7 11:40:24 EST 2007

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/133870.html

A community college student who was "Googling" himself last month
found some disconcerting information when he typed his name into the
popular Internet search engine.

A Los Rios Community College District database popped up that
included his name, birth date and Social Security number. The file
also contained data on about 2,000 other students.

[...]

In the case of Los Rios, staff members were testing a new online
application system and "just grabbed some files" to upload, said
Williams, the college spokeswoman.

"Google had come along and indexed this little test batch," Williams
said. "The data was on what we thought was a secure part of our Web server."

The data involved 2,000 of the school's 78,000 students.

That was in October. More than three months had passed before a Los
Rios student contacted the school about finding the personal data
file on Google.

[...]

--
Main site: http://www.pogowasright.org