[Dataloss] OH: Internal errors blamed for Franklin employees Social Security scare

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Jul 19 12:04:02 UTC 2007

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=70390

The Social Security numbers of 1,800 present and former Jackson Local
Schools' employees were at risk of public access on a county-maintained
Web site.

The personal data is now secure, school officials said Wednesday, and foul
play is not suspected.

"We do not believe it was a hacker or anything sinister. We feel confident
this was not the result of criminal activity, but an internal error," said
Larry Morgan, superintendent of Stark County Schools and chairman of the
Stark-Portage Area Regional Computer Consortium, also known as SPARCC.

The consortium is one of 23 information technology centers across the
state that provides record-keeping and fiscal and data-processing
capabilities for school districts. The Social Security numbers were
accessible on the SPARCC Web site, which keeps data for 28 school
districts and two educational service centers in Stark and Portage
counties.

[...]