[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Fri Feb 16 02:10:25 EST 2007

When we wanted to perform m of n key backup for the master keys at
Zero Knowledge systems, there was nothing commercially available.  Is
there anything now? I'm unaware of anyone who uses m of n sharing in
the real enterprise systems.  Please enlighten me.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 10:03:41PM -0500, sawaba wrote:
| When serious encryption is needed, key management is as important as the
| algorithm and key strength used. Most people have seen in the movies when
| it takes multiple keys turned at the same time to activate the firing
| mechanism for a nuclear weapon. It is similar in many enterprise data
| encryption situations (minus the threat of worldwide destruction). M of N
| key management requires a certain minimum number (say 3 of 6) of
| custodians to input their piece of the key to decrypt the data.
|
| Obviously, this doesn't work when you need to log into your laptop ("yeah
| Bob, this is Mike, could you come down to Starbucks and log me in again? I
| went to the bathroom and it powered off while I was gone"). So, we come
| back to the fact that certain kinds of data shouldn't be on laptops in the
| first place.
|
| --Sawaba
|
| On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Adam Shostack wrote:
|
| >Speaking for myself here.  As I understand things:
| >
| >Certain versions of Vista (I think Ultimate and Enterprise) include
| >Bitlocker whole drive encryption.  It's not on by default because of issues
| >about key management.  So just upgrading to Vista, in and of itself,
| >doesn't change anything.
| >
| >Bitlocker itself has a bunch of modes, ranging from keys stored in a
| >TPM and unlocked with a PIN, to keys stored on the hard drive and
| >unlocked with a password.  How you actually protect the encryption
| >keys might be seen as important.  I don't know if anyone has done a
| >comparison against state laws.
| >
| >Adam
| >
| >On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 07:34:43AM -0500, Herve Roggero wrote:
| >| Let me give an example: If I do business in California, and my
| >unencrypted
| >| laptop gets stolen with 100,000 SSNs in it, stored in clear text. I need
| >| disclose this loss and reach out to 100,000 people to comply with SB
| >1386.
| >|
| >| Now, if I upgrade my laptops to MS Vista, can I get away with it?
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >| I?m only asking as I am seeing an interesting response from CXO
| >individuals
| >| looking at MS Vista as a solution to their laptop/legal issues. If there
| >is no
| >| official technical workaround to this encryption and it takes thousands
| >or
| >| millions of years to crack, then it may fall under the ?reasonable?
| >steps to
| >| protect information and become a powerful tool for businesses looking to
| >| comply.
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >| Thank you
| >|
| >| Herve Roggero
| >|
| >| Managing Partner, Pyn Logic LLC
| >|
| >| Cell: 561 236 2025
| >|
| >| Visit www.pynlogic.com
| >|
| >|
| >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >| Ok, so youve got a copy of an encrypted disk to crack at your leisure.
| >The data
| >| is still compromised and in someone elses hands, and they have no idea
| >if its
| >| secure or not.
| >| That still counts as a loss in my book.
| >|
| >| At 08:54 2/12/2007, you wrote:
| >|
| >|
| >| Hi everyone
| >|
| >| This thead is very interesting. All techniques so far deal with reading
| >data at
| >| a low level. Will Windows Vista prevent techniques such as Symantec
| >Ghost? I
| >| understand that Vista performs bit-level encryption with its BitLocker
| >| technology.
| >|
| >| Thanks.
| >|