[Dataloss] Piper Jaffray apologizes to employees for W-2 goof

Dissent Dissent at pogowasright.org
Thu Feb 15 08:34:37 EST 2007

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/16647381.htm

Oops.

The W-2s Piper Jaffray sent to current and former employees in
January included employees' Social Security numbers on the outside of
the envelope.

The numbers were not identified as Social Security numbers, but
followed the standard XXX-XX-XXXX format. The incident affected more
than the 1,000 employees the company employs today, since about 2,600
people worked for Piper before the sale of its brokerage unit last year.

"At this time we have no indication that the printing error has
resulted in any misuse of employee personal information," Todd
Firebaugh, chief administrative officer of the Minneapolis-based
company, wrote in a letter to Piper employees last week apologizing
for the incident.

Executives indicated the mishap was an error by a third-party vendor,
the name of which was not disclosed. The mailing didn't involve any
customer data.

"We take the security of our employees' personal information very
seriously," said Rob Litt, a spokesman for the company. "We are
implementing corrective processing changes with our vendors."

The company will offer free 12-month credit monitoring to all
employees affected.

--
Main site: http://www.pogowasright.org
Main RSS feed: http://www.pogowasright.org/backend/pogowasright.rss