[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

sawaba sawaba at forced.attrition.org
Wed Feb 14 21:22:25 EST 2007

No, Vista will have no significant impact, for several reasons:

1. As mentioned somewhere down this thread, Vista's disk encryption option
only comes with the more expensive versions of Vista.

2. Owners of this version are a much smaller percentage of total Vista
owners. A small percentage of people that buy these versions will a) know
it is there b) care that it is there, or c) know how to use it properly
even if they do know about it and are interested in using it.

3. The people using disk encryption in Vista are likely to be doing it
with their personal PCs. We're mostly interested in large entities and
corporations using disk encryption to protect our sensitive, valuable data
while in their care. These companies, if they are using disk encryption at
all, are most likely to be using a commercial disk encryption product with
enterprise deployment/management features.

Bottom Line: Vista's new encryption features will most likely see the most
use in the hands of the individual consumer, not the enterprise.

Caveat: This is not to say that Vista's disk encryption features do not
work! When and where they are PROPERLY used, they will be effective in
protecting data from compromise.

--Sawaba