[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

Al Mac macwheel99 at sigecom.net
Mon Feb 12 10:31:24 EST 2007

Other operating systems have parallel concerns.
i work with midrange systems that track the last date time stamp that stuff
got backed up, but the system date can be changed.

So we look at the data ... see that the last backup was Feb-9, onto a tape
whose volume-id was IBM123, change the system date to Feb-9, make a tpe
with volume-id of IBM123 and do another backup.  The data says the last
backup was Feb-9 on volume-id IBM123, which is the same thing it said
before, but now we have an extra copy of all the data.  However, someone
who knows where to look can find the log of the time stamp being altered.