[Dataloss] Social Security Numbers Exposed in CCSU Letters

Dissent Dissent at pogowasright.org
Sat Feb 10 08:51:20 EST 2007

FERPA "lacks teeth," in part, because SCOTUS held that there is no
individual right to enforcement under its provisions (Gonzaga
University v. Doe).

Furthermore, the US DOE shifted years ago from monitoring and
enforcement to an "assistance" mode.  They did that because they
failed utterly at monitoring and enforcement (cf, monitoring and
compliance reports between OSEP and NYSED in the '90's).  Although
the DOE/OCR does occasionally threaten to cut off federal funding to
state education departments, they are not likely to do that, and
certainly not for anything like failure to protect privacy.  To the
contrary, there was a threatened cutoff if schools didn't allow
military recruiters access to student information, pursuant to the
provisions of NCLB  (20 U.S.C. § 7908).  Nice, huh -- they won't cut
off funds if the school violates or breaches student privacy, but
would cut off funds if the schools refuse to make student information
available to the military recruiters (as well as businesses and
post-secondary institutions).

I haven't yet gone through the new Leahy-Specter bill proposed in
Congress, but I had a conversation with one of Senator Feinstein's
staffers this week about how her proposal (S. 239) relates to
students and educational institutions.  One of their lawyers got back
to me to clarify the bill's application to unis.  Basically, any uni
that orders anything from out of state would be considered to be
engaged in "interstate commerce" and would therefore be covered by
the notification requirements and provisions of S.239, subject to the
same exemptions as businesses and agencies -- i.e., the risk
assessment exemption, etc.

His (counsel's) position was that although FERPA would continue to
permit unis to voluntarily publish and share "directory information"
on students under the provisions and restrictions of FERPA  (e.g.,
name, address, phone number, date of birth, other details), if those
very same data were involved in a security breach, the uni  would be
responsible for notification, etc., subject to the same exemption
provisions as businesses and other covered entities.  Under S.239's
provisions, there is no need for the compromised records to include
SSN or financial details -- even "just" name, address, and full date
of birth would trigger the notification requirements. And no, I'm not
saying I support S. 239.

But you're right in that the reputation of a uni is not tied to or
really affected by its data security record. And I can't imagine
Peterson's adding that type of info to their guide.

/Dissent