[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

sawaba sawaba at forced.attrition.org
Sat Feb 10 00:15:09 EST 2007

Wow, I've done my share of forensic investigations, and for the FBI to
make this kind of claim is more than a little embarrassing. I remember
reading the story when it originally came out, rolling my eyes, and moving
on.

Now that I take a closer look, it seems even more ridiculous, in part
thanks to their official press release:
http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel06/laptop071306.htm

Maybe I just haven't thought "deeply" enough about it, or the FBI has some
special "tamper detection" device that they've kept secret. Otherwise,
there is no middle ground. Either there was evidence that the drive was
accessed after being stolen, or you just DON'T KNOW. There is no "highly
confident" it was not compromised when it was gone for days, weeks or
months.

It is simply too easy to copy a drive or investigate it while mounted
read-only. Now, if they said that they believed it wasn't accessed based
solely based on investigative facts, it might have been plausible. But
they didn't. They asked IBM for some magic pixie dust, sprinkled it on the
laptop, and decided to say that the forensic examination helped give
confidence that nothing was accessed.

I could go on and on, but this lays it out pretty well:
http://blog.zonelabs.com/blog/2006/06/forensics_looki.html

--Sawaba

P.S. - His "Worst Case Scenario" is quite likely if the criminals had any
clue and knew how to use Google. The materials needed would have cost them
nothing (or next to nothing if they bought latex gloves).