[Dataloss] UK: Police personal data found on discarded floppy

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Dec 27 04:40:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Michael Hill, CITRMS wrote:

": " We get that question a lot in our business and here's how we answer it.
": "
": " "Mr. (Business Owner) if I call into your business and ask for your home address and phone number, will you or whomever answers the phone going to give it to me?"   I think not.  The home address and phone number is just the first step to getting your identity stolen.

Not to take things too far, but I guess that was my part of my point.  If
someone cold-called my place of business and asked for that information, I
wouldn't be willing to give it out.  However, what's to stop anyone from
getting a copy of the White Pages or just getting online and hitting
Google or a dozen other search engines for the same information (if the
person in question is listed by such)?

By the way, Adam made a good point about wanting a broader realm of
disclosure for tracking and analysis.  I wasn't trying to criticize the
content of the original post; it was more about opening discussion as to
what might be considered "personal", "private", "public", or "other".  Any
other thoughts?