[Dataloss] New Laws Further Protect New York Consumers from Becoming Victims of Identity Theft

blitz blitz at strikenet.kicks-ass.net
Tue Sep 26 14:46:27 EDT 2006

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/press/06/0926061.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
September 26, 2006

GOVERNOR SIGNS NEW LAWS TO PROTECT NEW YORKERS AGAINST IDENTITY THEFT

----------
New Laws Further Protect New York Consumers from
Becoming Victims of Identity Theft

Governor George E. Pataki announced today that he
signed three measures into law that will further
protect New York’s consumers and their privacy.
These bills establish the Consumer Communication
Records Privacy Act, place limits on the use and
disclosure of Social Security account numbers,
and further clarify and define what is considered a computer crime.

“These important new laws are yet another step
towards ensuring that New York consumers do not
fall victim to identity theft,” Governor Pataki
said. “As criminals continue to come up with new
schemes to steal consumer’s personal information,
we must enact stronger laws that ensure the
safety and privacy of our consumers and protect
them from identity theft. These three laws
address the needs of our consumers and their
families, while continuing to demonstrate that
New York remains a leader in the fight against identity theft."

Senate Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno said, “The
Senate has always made it a priority to protect
consumers from identity theft and do everything
we can to strengthen and update our laws to
protect people’s personal information from theft
and abuse. With these three new laws, sponsored
by Senators Charles Fuschillo, Tom Morahan and
Jim Wright, we are strengthening and updating our
laws to further protect consumers.”

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver said, “Identity
theft is a growing problem with severe
consequences. Victims face significant financial
losses and complicated credit problems that could
take years to correct. These measures continue
our on-going efforts to protect consumers and
increase penalties for offenders.”

Teresa A. Santiago, Chairperson and Executive
Director of the New York State Consumer
Protection Board, said, “These new laws will give
New Yorkers -- and New York law enforcement
agencies -- an enormous amount of help in
fighting Identity Theft, as well as malicious
attacks on home computers. We encourage all New
Yorkers to take advantage of these new laws by
filing complaints and letting the authorities
know when there are violations of these laws.”

Consumer Communication Records Privacy Act

The Consumer Communication Records Privacy Act,
sponsored by Senator Charles Fuschillo and
Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz (S.6723/A.12033),
protects consumers by prohibiting the sale,
fraudulent transfer, or solicitation of a
consumers telephone records without consent from
the consumer. This information is confidential
and protected by both telephone companies and
telephone consumers, and unauthorized release of
telephone records harms consumers by taking away
their sense of privacy, safety and security.

Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr., Chairman of
the Senate's Consumer Protection Committee, said,
“The fact that someone could so easily invade the
privacy of another by obtaining their phone
records was so offensive that we needed to act.
This new law will prevent the distribution of
one's calls without their consent.”

Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz said, “Until the
signing of this bill, one’s cell phone logs could
be sold by unscrupulous individuals. This bill
would close that loophole in the law and provide
important protections for cell phone users in New York.”

Protecting Social Security Numbers

To guard against the potential misuse of Social
Security account numbers (SSN), Senator Thomas
Morahan and Assemblywoman Audrey Pheffer
sponsored a bill (S.6909C/A.10076D) that will
enact a new law placing limits on the use and
dissemination of this information. Specifically, the new law:
    * prohibits the intentional communication of
an individual’s SSN to the general public;
    * restrict businesses’ ability to print an
individual’s SSN on mailings or on any card or
tag required to access products, services, or benefits;
    * prohibit businesses from requiring an
individual to transmit his or her encrypted SSN over the Internet; and
    * Require businesses that possess SSNs to
implement appropriate safeguards and limit
unnecessary employee access to SSNs.

Senator Thomas Morahan said, “An individual's
Social Security number is the key to enormous
access to their personal and financial
information and this new law will put in place
new limits and protections to ensure that number
does not fall into the wrong hands.”

Assemblywoman Audrey Pheffer said, “The Assembly,
and in particular the Consumer Protections
Committee, has made enacting meaningful identity
theft measures a top consumer priority. As part
of our ongoing efforts, the committee last year
held hearings on regulating the use of Social
Security numbers by private businesses and state
agencies. This review was instrumental in
crafting this new law in order to protect
residents from unauthorized use of personal information and identity theft.”

Strengthened Laws for Computer Crimes

As consumers become more heavily reliant on
computers to accomplish everyday tasks such as
paying bills, and online-shopping, it is
important to ensure that laws are in place to
protect these consumers from computer-based
fraud. A new measure, sponsored by Assemblyman
Richard Brodsky and Senator James Wright
(A.891F/S.5005F), keeps up with continually
evolving computer technology by further defining
and clarifying New York State’s Penal Law as it
pertains to the unauthorized use of computers.
This measure strengthens existing law to allow
for the prosecution of those who intentionally
disrupt, steal personal information, and plant
malicious programs on consumer’s computers without authorization.

Senator James Wright said, “Computer technology
is constantly evolving, making everyday tasks
more convenient, but the changes in technology
also place us at risk for identity theft and
fraud. This law makes it easier to prosecute
those who intentionally commit these crimes and to protect consumers.”

Assemblyman Richard Brodsky said, “This law – the
first anti-spyware law in New York – is a way to
prosecute those who dump thousands of malicious
spyware, adware and other viruses onto people’s
computers. Thieves no longer have to break into
one’s home to steal vital information; they can
do it remotely with the same devastating results.
We have an obligation to do everything we can to
stop thieves from invading people’s computers and prosecuting those who do.”

Existing Identity Theft Protection

These new identity theft laws build upon existing
laws that are designed to safeguard consumers
from identity theft schemes. Earlier this year,
the Governor signed into a law, a comprehensive
set of measures allowing consumers to proactively
defend themselves against identity thieves,
require businesses to properly discard documents
and records containing personal information, and
prohibit individuals from deceptively soliciting
sensitive information from Internet users.

The Security Freeze Law allows consumers, who are
either identity theft victims or are concerned
that they might be at risk of having their
identities stolen, to cut off an identity thief's
access to credit, loans, leases, goods and
services by placing a “freeze” on their consumer credit report.

The Disposal of Personal Records Law requires any
business to properly dispose of records
containing personal information through one of
the following means: shredding, destruction,
modification, or other reasonable action to
ensure that no unauthorized person will have
access to the personal information. This law will
ensure that disposed records containing personal
information are not a source that thieves rely upon to commit identity theft.

The Anti-Phishing Act of 2006 prohibits the
deceptive solicitation of personal information
through electronic communications. Phishing is
the act of sending an e-mail to an Internet user,
falsely claiming to be an established legitimate
enterprise in an attempt to scam the user into
surrendering private information that will be
used for identity theft. The scammer lures the
potential victim out of a sea of internet users
for passwords and financial data. “Phishing”
accounts for nearly 25% of all Internet fraud.

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.