[Dataloss] Emergent Chaos: Is It Time To End the Breaches Category?

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Sep 18 17:42:36 EDT 2006

(Adam and Chris, hope you don't mind, but I find this to be relevant and
newsworthy considering the time and effort you've both spent on this topic
- lyger)

http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/2006/09/is_it_time_to_end_the_bre.html

Looking back to February of 2005, that companies routinely lose control of
data entrusted to them was known mostly to security professionals and
enthusiasts. Breaches were swept under the rug, and the scope and breadth
of the problem was unknown. Thanks to Choicepoint's dedication to bringing
about public debate on the issue, the outstanding reporting of Bob
Sullivan and others, and my unholy fascination with it, and Chris's
dedication in finding data, things have changed. This blog became an
important source of information and analysis, and I'm very pleased to have
contributed to the changes. The stories are now mainstream, and more
broad. Things like "Payroll Giant [ADP] Gives Scammer Personal Data of
Hundreds of Thousands of Investors" make ABC news. (Names and addresses,
not SSNs.)

[...]