[Dataloss] Florida National Guard - Laptop theft triggers security review

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Sep 8 12:13:40 EDT 2006

Again from the fine folks at PogoWasRight.org:

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/BREAKINGNEWS/60907027/1086

BRADENTON - The Florida National Guard was conducting a security review
Thursday after a laptop computer assigned to one of its soldiers was
stolen in a car burglary.

No classified information was on the computer stolen Tuesday from a
soldier's personal vehicle, said Florida Department of Military Affairs
spokesman Jon Myatt. The laptop contains training and administrative
records - including social security numbers - of up to 100 Florida
National Guard soldiers.

"We're doing everything we can do to protect the unit," Myatt said. "The
soldiers were aware if they were affected. Not a lot of personal
information was on this laptop. An identity thief would need a lot more
information."

[...]