[Dataloss] An amazing use of DLDOS

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Sep 7 19:37:23 EDT 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Adam Shostack wrote:

": " I've been thinking for a bit that it would be great if reporters had a
": " document that helped guide them to ask interesting, probing questions
": " about these failures.  We might provide similar guideance to the
": " agencies who accept these reports on what questions they should offer
": " up on their sites.
": "
": " Adam

Unfortunately, most interviews seem top go like this:

Reporter:  What exactly was the nature of this breach?
PR-Dude:   A [laptop] was stolen on mm/dd/yyyy from [pizza hut]
Reporter:  Was there personally identifiable information on the [laptop]?
PR-Dude:   We have yet to ascertain what type of data was on the [laptop].
Reporter:  Do you know how many people may have been affected?
PR-Dude:   We're still in the process of compiling numbers.  We have 3.75
           billion clients, but apparently only 12 may have been affected.
           Those 12 will possibly be given free credit reporting for a
           year and be entered into the Federal Witness Protection
           Program.
Reporter:  Errr.... ok...
PR-Dude:   In addition, all data on the [laptop] was password protected.
           People shouldn't worry.  Really.  We mean that.  But we're
           still going to notify them.  Just in case.  You know.
Reporter:  ...
PR-Dude:   Encryption?  I didn't understand the question.
Reporter:  I didn't ask one...
PR-Dude:   Oh.  My bad.  Move to strike...

(Sorry, Adam... just had to get that out...)  :)