[Dataloss] Georgia: Social Security Numbers Posted Online

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Oct 30 18:29:45 EST 2006

(Posting with this question for discussion:  if this is a state-wide issue
but has only been reported for one county, how should (or can) the overall
impact be measured for data breach lists or databases?)

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10193623/detail.html

A simple online search of a Cherokee County government web site revealed
social security numbers posted for all to see . and it turns out, this is
happening across the state.

Channel 2's Tom Regan logged on to the Cherokee County web site, entered a
few common names and within a few clicks was able to obtain social
security numbers for complete strangers, courtesy of the IRS and the
county court web site.

"I'm required by law not to alter the document and by law I cannot alter
the document," said Cherokee County Clerk of Courts, Patty Baker.

It applies to all county courts in Georgia - not just Cherokee. The
result? People who have federal tax liens against them - sometimes for
years as they dispute unpaid taxes - have their entire social security
sitting out on the world wide web for anyone to see.

[...]