[Dataloss] VISA / 1ST BANK

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Oct 20 16:59:50 EDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, George Toft wrote:

": " The new truth of the Digital Millennium: "Your personal information
": " expires when you do." ~Brian Honan / SANS

Tell that to all of the dead people who are registered to vote:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002777697_voters02m.html

:)

": " Until the lawmakers of Washington suffer ID Theft, nothing will change.
": "   If I were an ID thief, I would definitely dump any high profile name
": " from my database - no need to spoil the party.  And the party will
": " continue until some high profile politico gets burned.

But data loss <> ID theft.  If data is lost or stolen regardless of an
actual theft of an identity or identities, said data has been
compromised even if no access can be proven.  Things *can* change, but it
has to start with the actual protection of personal data and not wait
until the media starts screaming "IDENTITY THEFT" in the headlines.

": " I was in Home Depot this week at the customer service counter.  A
": " customer was telling the clerk about someone running around with his
": " SSN.  It is becomming commonplace (at least in Arizona).
": "
": " George Toft, CISSP, MSIS

Out of curiousity, did he mention how it was compromised?  Data breach of
a third party or did someone stole his wallet?  Not much could probably
have been done about the latter, but the former needs to be addressed from
a data protection standpoint, not an "identity theft" one.

Lyger (look at all the quotes and footers i snipped, ma!)