[Dataloss] followup: ACS Breach Warning Letter

George Toft george at myitaz.com
Wed Nov 8 11:06:39 EST 2006

security curmudgeon wrote:
> Yanking a drive and mirroring content is trivial for even moderately
> skilled computer users.

That is too much effort - there are CD images available on the Internet
that will allow a complete noob to change the admin password in under 5
minutes.  Someone who has used it a couple times can do it in 2 minutes.

Now here's a weird one - I was handed a password-protected laptop with
Windows XP.  I booted it into safe mode with no password and had Admin
rights.  I reset the password for the user, rebooted, and logged in
normally.  This struck me as really odd.

George Toft