[Dataloss] followup: ACS Breach Warning Letter

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Wed Nov 8 02:09:58 EST 2006

Letter sent out to an unknown amount of ACS "customers" on Oct 26. Any
typos are my own.

--

State Directory of New Hires
Operated by ACS

[Customer Name]						[Bar Code]
[Customer Address]					[Number]

Dear [Customer First Name]:

This letter is to inform you of an incident involving the theft of a
computer that may contain your personal information.  A password-protected
computer was stolen from a secure facility operated by ACS State and Local
Solutions, Inc. on behalf of the Colorado State Directory of New Hires
(SDNH). Employers are required by law to report information to the SDNH
regarding newly hired employees.

Although you may reside in a state other than Colorado, your information
was submitted through this channel. This information may include your
name, address, and social security number. We believe it is important to
notify you about this incident and to alert you to the possibility of your
exposure to identity theft.

In responding to the theft, ACS immediately notified law enforcement.
Colorado law enforcement and ACS are vigorously investigating the theft to
determine who was involved and to recover the information.

As a precaution, we recommend you carefully review all credit cards and
other financial account information. If you detect any unauthorized or
suspicious activity in any of these accounts, you should contact your
credit card company or other account issuer immediately. We further
recommend that you obtain a credit report from one of the three credit
bureaus -- Experian, Equifax or TransUnion. Additional information on how
best to respond to a possible identity theft is available from the Federal
Trade Commission at: http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/ and Colorado
residents may also see: http://www.ago.state.co.us/idtheft/IDTheft.cfm.
For your convenience, we are attaching general information about identity
theft protection.

ACS takes the protection of your personal information very seriously. We
have established a toll-free number to assit with any questions. This
number is 1-800-350-0399. We regret this incident occured.

Very truly yours,

[scribble]

ACS Representative