[Dataloss] VSC laptop theft creates security concerns (fwd)

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Mar 27 07:31:52 EST 2006

Courtesy: InfoSec News <isn at c4i.org>

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060324/NEWS/603240363/1002

By Darren M. Allen
Vermont Press Bureau
March 24, 2006

MONTPELIER - Thousands of Vermont State Colleges students, faculty and
staff learned this week that a VSC laptop computer stolen from a car
parked in Montreal on Feb. 28 could have given thieves access to their
personal financial information, including Social Security numbers and
payroll data.

And while system administrators assured the thousands of potential
identity-theft victims that they had all but eliminated access to the
colleges' computer network from the laptop, some faculty and staff are
furious that VSC took three weeks to warn them.

"I can share with you that many, many people have come to me to
express their anger," said Ernest Broadwater, an education professor
at Lyndon State College and the president of the Vermont State
Colleges Faculty Federation.

The union has contacted an attorney to "learn what measures the VSC
has taken to protect the information of our students, staff and
faculty."

[...]