[Dataloss] Citibank cards pulled after network breach (fwd)

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Mar 8 15:50:18 EST 2006

Forwarded from ISN.  Follow-up to:
http://attrition.org/pipermail/dataloss/2006-March/000138.html

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/030706-citibank-network-breach.html

By Robert McMillan
IDG News Service
03/07/06

Citigroup is reissuing MasterCard credit and debit cards used in the
U.K., Russia and Canada, saying they may have become compromised
following an unspecified breach of its network.

"Last year, Citibank and our customers were the victims of a
third-party business' information breach," the company said Wednesday
in a statement. "In mid-February, we detected several hundred
fraudulent cash withdrawals in three countries. We are currently
reissuing cards, as appropriate, to affected customers."

In an earlier statement, published in media outlets, Citigroup said
that the accounts may have been compromised in "previous retailer
breaches in the U.S.," and that the company was aware of fraudulent
ATM cash withdrawals being made in the U.K., Russia, and Canada. The
company did not say how many cards were affected by these breaches.

[...]