[Dataloss] Sensitive Info Available on King County (Washington) Web Site

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Jun 26 16:58:36 EDT 2006

Via Fergie's Tech Blog:  http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/275386_records26ww.html

King County Elections has posted the social security numbers for
potentially thousands of current and former county residents, County
Council member Reagan Dunn said Monday.

"Within forty-five minutes, my staff was able to retrieve online
documents with the social security numbers of numerous local elected
officials and other high-profile individuals," Dunn said. "If we had a
criminal agenda, these people would be victims of identity-theft by now."

Dunn said the problem was revealed when a constituent contacted his
office to say that by performing a records search on herself, she had
found her social security number on the election Web site.

[...]