[Dataloss] CPA group says hard drive with data on 330, 000 members missing

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Sat Jun 10 04:18:20 EDT 2006

Courtesy WK/ISN:

---------- Forwarded message ----------

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001030

By Jaikumar Vijayan
Computerworld
June 07, 2006

Adding to the lengthening list of organizations reporting data
compromises, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
(AICPA) today confirmed that a computer hard drive containing the
unencrypted names, addresses and Social Security numbers of nearly all of
its 330,000 members has been missing since February.

The hard drive had been accidentally damaged by an AICPA employee and was
sent out for repair to an external data-recovery service in violation of
the AICPA's policies, said Joel Allegretti, a spokesman for the New
York-based organization. It was on its way back to the AICPA via FedEx but
failed to arrive. Allegretti did not say when exactly the drive went
missing except to note that the package containing it was due back at the
AICPA "toward the end of February."

It took the organization until March 31 to "re-create the drive" and
determine what data it contained. The AICPA began notifying affected
members of the potential compromise of their personal data on May 8 and
has since completed the task, Allegretti said.

Jim McClusky, a spokesman for FedEx Corp., said it is unclear what exactly
happened to the drive. But he stressed that it is a mistake to
characterize the package as being lost.

"We did handle the shipment, and we are working closely and cooperatively
with our customer to determine where the package might be," he said. "It
is still being investigated. At this point, we are looking at it as a
missing shipment; that doesn't mean it's lost."

Based on investigations so far, it does not appear that information on the
hard drive has been misused, Allegretti said.

Following the loss, the AICPA is offering affected members a year's worth
of free credit-monitoring services. The incident has also prompted the
group to begin deleting all Social Security numbers from its member
database.

While a note posted on the organization's Web site says the collection of
Social Security numbers has been a long-standing procedure, it added that
"we will cease collecting and maintaining them, except in limited
circumstances. And even for those, we are accelerating our efforts to
develop other means of uniquely identifying our members."

News of the AICPA breach comes amid a flurry of similar disclosures in
recent days. By far, the biggest was the May 22 disclosure by the U.S.
Department of Veterans Affairs that it had lost personal data on more than
26.5 million veterans discharged since 1975. Since then, the agency has
admitted that the breach may have exposed personal information on about
2.2 million active-duty National Guard and Reserve troops as well (see
"Personal info on 2.2M troops part of VA data theft" [1]).

Since then, there have been similar disclosures elsewhere, including Texas
Guaranteed Student Loan Corp., a Round Rock, Texas-based nonprofit
organization. TG said that an outside contractor lost an unspecified piece
of equipment containing the names and Social Security numbers of
approximately 1.3 million borrowers.

On May 26, Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn., announced that one
of its computers had been hacked into, resulting in the potential
compromise of data belonging to 135,000 alumni and would-be students. And
earlier this month, a password-protected laptop containing credit card
information on more than a quarter-million Hotels.com LP customers was
stolen from the car of an auditor at Ernst & Young LLP.

[1] http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000992