[Dataloss] long term effects of data loss

George Toft george at myitaz.com
Sun Jul 30 14:14:01 EDT 2006

I am wondering about the long-term effects of record loss.  It seems to
me that all a thief needs to do is wait a year or two to use the
information - after all, you can't change your SSN, Birth Date, and are
probably not changing your name, so the info is good for years to come.

My thinking is that people tend to forget about the fraud alerts, which
only last 90 days.  Maybe they renew them a couple times.  After a year
or so, the thief should be able to act on the data and perhaps 1/2 will
be effective.

Thoughts?  Enlightenment?
--
George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.