[Dataloss] Subsidiary of Canadian Medical Association Reports Possible Privacy Data Loss

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Jul 26 18:27:54 EDT 2006

Courtesy Fergie's Tech Blog:  http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060726.gtlaptop0726/BNStory/Technology/

Hundreds of angry doctors and their families are demanding answers from
a financial services company after a laptop containing thousands of
personal files was stolen from a car in a parking lot.

"I'm furious," said one of the clients, who asked not to be identified.
"We trust these people with virtually all our financial information."

About 8,000 clients of MD Management, a subsidiary of the Canadian
Medical Association, received a letter from the company dated June 29
warning them that a laptop computer containing detailed information
about their financial and professional circumstances had been stolen.

The computer was taken from an MD Management employee's locked car
during a break-in, said Guy Belanger, president of the MD Financial Group.

[...]