[Dataloss] Identity Theft protection changes needed

Al Mac macwheel99 at sigecom.net
Tue Jul 11 01:07:18 EDT 2006

In security breach news we are seeing the same scenario played out again
and again, with different enterprises doing the same stuff that leads to
disaster.  How come no one seems to be learning by example to avoid being
the next story in the news?  I have my theories on this, but in this
article, IDG News Services asked leaders of three security businesses to
give their theories on this.

* People do what is easy and convenient and don't give much thought to the
consequences.
* Many people do not get insurance until something happens to a neighbor,
or they see problem in news, and realize they need insurance against that
* Security is a balance between other management priorities, in which
several are more important than security
* There has been a conceptual shift in recent years.  It used to be that
companies trusted employees, gave them reasons for that trust, but now job
security is threatened by off-shoring, unions have been busted, and
Sarbanes Oxley is re-establishing separation of duties
** but none of that is why we have all these new laws saying no one can be
trusted ... here's why
http://wallstreetfollies.com/ scroll to the bottom and blow it up
http://wallstreetfollies.com/diagrams.htm
* there's a lot of traffic that goes over the Internet in the clear
* you can't tell from a web ad if there is something malicious going on

My theories have to do with the notion that security breaches have been
occurring since the dawn of computer history, and we are now only hearing
about those associated with geographies where there is a legal obligation
to report them.  Let's suppose you work in a company that has existed for
100 years, had computers for 50 years, have had 20 security breaches and
survived them all.  The fact that your company is now obligated to
publicize breaches means that it does not dawn on anyone what the PR
consequences of that are until after the first publicized breach.

There are laws that are not enforced.  We can go to any electronics store
and buy the where with all to tap into cell phone and other radio
traffic.  Totally illegal, but have you ever heard of anyone being arrested
for it?.  Do you know what a police scanner is?  People who like to listen
to police radio calls for their entertainment.  You can also listen to taxi
service and other outfits.  Some parts of the electromagnetic spectrum are
reserved for special kinds of traffic, like pagers.  I hear tell there's
all kinds of interesting stuff for snoops.

Companies with wireless not locked down.  Several breaches have involved
someone with laptop in their parking lot.

People get some kind of communication service and assume there is zero risk
of it being tapped, hacked, or what have you.

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=cybercrime_hacking&articleId=9001672&taxonomyId=82

-
Al Mac AKA Alister Wm. Macintyre