[Dataloss] VA laptop sold from back of truck

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Jul 3 14:50:51 EDT 2006

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/07/what_happened_t.html#posts

We have a few more details on what happened to the nation's most famous
runaway laptop computer during those mysterious two months it was missing,
courtesy of NBC's Pete Williams. We're talking about the computer and hard
drive that were stolen from a Department of Veterans Affairs employee in
May, an incident that made headlines because the hardware contained
private information on 26.5 million veterans and current GIs. Last week,
VA chief Jim Nicholson announced in dramatic fashion that the prodigal
computer had been found, but details about the return were sparing.

NBC's Williams has been able to fill in some of the blanks after talking
to law enforcement officials investigating the incident.

Both the laptop and hard drive ended up for sale at a black market just
north of Washington D.C., near a subway station outside the Beltway near
Wheaton. We're talking about the kind of market that is literally run out
of the back of a truck, one official said. Fortunately, a buyer purchased
both components at this black market, keeping the missing hardware
together.

[...]