[Dataloss] A bit more about the stolen debit cards

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sun Feb 12 15:26:49 EST 2006

(forwarded from another mail list)

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:42:20 -0500
Subject: A bit more about the stolen debit cards

Web of intrigue widens in debit-card theft case

http://news.com.com/Web+of+intrigue+widens+in+debit-card+theft+case/2100-102
9_3-6038405.html?tag=nefd.top

After receiving a call from CNET News.com about the investigation into the
200,000 cancelled credit cards, a Wal-Mart media representative refused to
answer questions but called attention to a statement released by the company
on Dec. 2, 2005. In the statement, Wal-Mart acknowledged that credit cards
used by some customers who bought gas at the company's Sam's Club stations
between Sept. 21, 2005 and Oct. 2, 2005, were compromised. Many Sam's Clubs
also accept debit cards.

But the trail doesn't end with Wal-Mart, said sources close to the
investigation. As investigators began to look into the recent rash of
unauthorized charges, they found that a large number of people whose debit
cards were compromised had one thing in common: they previously had shopped
at office-supply chain OfficeMax, said a banking source familiar with the
case. Two law enforcement sources also said OfficeMax is part of the
investigation but did not provide details.

None of the sources, who requested anonymity due to the ongoing
investigation, knew for certain whether OfficeMax had suffered a security
breach.

"We have not suffered any security breach to our knowledge," said William
Bonner, an OfficeMax spokesman, on Friday.

According to one banking official close to the case, OfficeMax has been
queried by at least one financial institution about the matter.

"This is why we don't reveal the names to the public," said the banking
official who requested anonymity. "We're not sure which customers may have
been ripped off in the Wal-Mart deal or whether OfficeMax was the problem."