[Dataloss] Sovereign Bank Warns Customers Personal Data May Have Been Breached

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sat Aug 26 22:03:03 EDT 2006

Courtesy Fergie's Tech Blog:  http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/08/25/bank_warns_customers_personal_data_may_have_been_breached/

Sovereign Bank is warning thousands of customers that their personal
data may have been stolen along with three managers' laptops taken
earlier this month in Massachusetts.

Bank officials said fewer than 1 percent of customers in the New
England and Mid-Atlantic area may have been affected, the
Standard-Times of New Bedford reported.

"There's no information any of the accounts have been compromised,"
bank spokesman Carl Brown told the newspaper. He would not say how many
letters were sent to customers Aug. 21, but said it was in the thousands.

"We do consider this as a serious matter; we want to do everything we
can," Brown said. "Police are investigating, and we're conducting our
own internal investigation."

[...]