[Dataloss] Senator questions FBI on ChoicePoint contract

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Apr 7 13:06:20 EDT 2006

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,110248,00.html

Senator questions FBI on ChoicePoint contract
Leahy wants to know why DOJ's still doing business with breached firm

News Story by Grant Gross

APRIL 05, 2006 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - A top Democrat in the U.S. Senate
questioned Wednesday why the U.S. Department of Justice continues to do
business with data broker ChoicePoint Inc. a year after the company
announced a data breach potentially affecting 145,000 U.S. residents.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) blasted the DOJ and the FBI division for a
recent five-year, $12 million contract for ChoicePoint to provide
investigative analysis software to the FBI. In February 2005,
ChoicePoint announced a data breach after criminals set up fake
businesses that purchased private information from the data broker.

"What in heaven's name are we doing allowing someone as careless as
ChoicePoint to be in control of our data?" Leahy said at a subcommittee
hearing on the DOJ's 2007 budget. "I consider them the poster child for
lax security protection."

[...]