[Dataloss] Georgia Technology Authority breach

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sun Apr 2 11:19:21 EDT 2006

As posted last Friday by security curmudgeon via ISN:

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,110094,00.html

Cruising privacyrights.org today, I noticed that they had the total number
of affected people at 553,000 while the lead paragraph in the story above
states "more than 570,000."  Reading further down the article:

"Even so, the GTA is sending out letters to 180,000 affected employees for
whom it has contact information, she said. The state does not have current
addresses for the remaining 373,000 individuals affected and is relying on
media reports and its own outreach efforts to inform them of the potential
compromise of data, Goldberg said."

Since 180,000 plus 373,000 does indeed add up to 553,000, is there maybe
more information about another 17,000 people that the article doesn't
mention, was it perhaps a simple typo, or am I missing something obvious?