[attrition] Building A Better Anonymous

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Mon Jul 9 21:32:35 CDT 2012

(Today, Josh and I posted the final installment.)

http://attrition.org/security/rants/building_a_better_anonymous/

Building a Better Anonymous
By Josh Corman & Brian Martin
2011 - 2012

This multi-part article, with original artwork by Mar, is a follow-up to a
one hour panel discussion at DEFCON 19 titled "'Whoever Fights
Monsters...' Confronting Aaron Barr, Anonymous and Ourselves" moderated by
Paul Roberts, discussed by Josh Corman, Brian Martin and Scot Terban. The
views of the authors are not meant to be a criticism of Anonymous, nor are
they meant to be encouragement for future criminal activity. It is an
inevitable fact that Anonymous, or similar groups, will become bigger,
stronger, and more effective. Discussions on how to build a more potent
digital hacktivism (illegal hacking to achieve a political goal) group
have occurred for over a decade. This article will not attempt to
introduce groundbreaking new ideas, but rather will summarize many
existing ideas and subject them to analysis from two security
practitioners on two sides of this issue. If anything, this will serve
more as a 'Lessons Learned' with the aim of broadening the reader's
understanding of the topic, while demonstrating that the "problem" is not
going away; the "problem" is evolving and growing.

When we say "building a better Anonymous", we seek to explore the ideas of
making such a group truly better. That means better for all parties
involved; the group, end users, citizens and law enforcement. "Better"
does not mean more criminal acts in the name of the greater good, it means
a more efficient organization that can achieve the same results with less
collateral damage. We envision a group with better defined goals, more
accountability, a healthy dose of humor and the legendary resolve of the
sabertooth squirrel. Of course, the chaotic nature of a group such as
Anonymous means that any hopes of improvement will likely come in the form
of small numbers of members guiding the rest toward these goals.

[..]